About Christown Spectrum
On a First-name Basis With the Community
Christown Spectrum was named after Chris Harri, a Swiss farmer who moved to the valley in 1904. Harri, a local legend who died in 1971, owned and farmed 360 acres in what is now north central Phoenix, including the site where the mall now sits.
In the mid 1950s, Harri sold a large portion of his land to a developer. In 1961, the Christown Spectrum opened with much fanfare at North 19th Avenue and West Bethany Home Road.
It was Arizona’s first air conditioned, enclosed mall. At the time, it also was the largest mall between Los Angeles and Houston.
Flashback 45 years from now & take a peek at these vintage views.
In 2001, the center’s previous owner changed the name to Phoenix Spectrum Mall to reflect its "spectrum" of shopping choices. The new name was never fully received by the established community.
In June of 2007, the name was changed to Christown Spectrum incorporating both names to reflect its history and wide range of shopping and dining selections.